By Nigel Alderman,C. D. Blanton
- An ancient review and demanding creation to the poetry released in Britain and eire during the last half-century
- Introduces scholars to figures together with Philip Larkin, Ted Hughes, Seamus Heaney, and Andrew Motion
- Takes an integrative method, emphasizing the complicated negotiations among the British and Irish poetic traditions, and pulling jointly competing traits and positions
- Written by means of critics from Britain, eire, and the United States
- Includes feedback for extra examining and a chronology, detailing crucial writers, volumes and events
Read or Download A Concise Companion to Postwar British and Irish Poetry (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
This ebook reappraises the paintings of early-seventeenth-century creditors of English Renaissance poetry in manuscript. The verse miscellanies, or poetry anthologies, of those creditors have lengthy attracted the eye of literary editors searching for texts through person, significant authors, and so they have extra lately historians for his or her poems on political affairs, referred to as verse libels.
This e-book makes use of the uniquely situated tradition of East African Asians to mirror upon the main vexing matters in postcolonial literary experiences this present day. via interpreting the neighborhood histories and discourses that underpin East African Asian literature, it opens up and displays upon problems with alienation, modernity, migration, diaspora, reminiscence and nationalism.
Guided by means of the ancient semantics built in Raymond Williams' pioneering research of cultural vocabulary, Modernism: key phrases offers a sequence of brief entries on phrases used with frequency and urgency in “written modernism,” monitoring cultural and literary debates and transformative moments of swap.
Jane Austen and the kingdom of the country explores Jane Austen's references to politics and to political economics and concludes that Austen used to be a liberal Tory who remained constant in her political schedule all through her profession as a novelist. learn with this ancient heritage, Austen's books end up state-of-the-nation or political novels.
- The Accommodated Jew: English Antisemitism from Bede to Milton
- Late Modernist Style in Samuel Beckett and Emmanuel Levinas (New Interpretations of Beckett in the 21st Century)
- Revenge Tragedy and the Drama of Commemoration in Reforming England: 0 (Studies in Performance and Early Modern Drama)
- Writing Ireland's Working Class: Dublin After O'Casey
- Afterlife and Narrative in Contemporary Fiction
Additional info for A Concise Companion to Postwar British and Irish Poetry (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Concise Companion to Postwar British and Irish Poetry (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) by Nigel Alderman,C. D. Blanton